Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One Last Taste of the Summer

Despite the fact that my fall baking adventures are in full swing, the summer is technically not over until this weekend. I do love my fall and holiday treats, but there is just something so refreshing when it comes to summer cooking and baking. I think it's still acceptable to grab that one last taste of summer while you still can.
One of my all time favorite summer treats does not come in dessert form, rather as a salsa. Yes, I have only posted desserts on here, but I think it's time to branch out a bit and share some other recipes as well. I may or may not have scraped every last bit of this salsa from its serving dish on numerous occasions, so trust me--- its quite dangerous. But on the bright side, it's much better for the waistline than scraping every remnant of my Oreo truffles from the bowl after mixing the cookies with cream cheese...and for that, I am more than guilty!

Be warned, however--- if you put this salsa out at a party or gathering, make sure you have another bowl of it set aside somewhere because it will probably be gone before you even have the chance to blink. I've put this out at a few family gatherings and it was gone by the time I went to get myself a drink. It's refreshing, flavorful, and just absolutely irresistible. And with all those characteristics, you have to be thinking that it MUST be bad for you. Luckily, you can eat this last taste of summer guilt free.
So hurry and round up that last bit of summer corn and those avocados, because you definitely don't want to be waiting a whole year to try this. I've made a few minor changes from the original recipe from The Pioneer Woman---she calls it "Fresh Corn and Avocado Salsa" and she just cooks up her corn, versus roasting it like I like to do. She also keeps her avocado cubed, but I prefer incorporating mine a little more. Whichever way you prefer, it is absolutely delicious. Serve it with tortilla chips or use it to top anything from eggs, an omelet, or even grilled chicken. Or, if you're like me, just a spoon will suffice! 

Roasted Corn & Avocado Salsa
adapted from The Pioneer Woman's Fresh Corn & Avocado Salsa

4 ears of sweet corn, cooked or roasted
1/2 red onion, diced (I didn't have any red onion on hand at the time, but it definitely adds some nice color!)
2 large, avocados, diced (you'll want to get them on the firmer side if you're planning on keeping them cubed)
2 jalapeƱos, seeded and finely diced 
Juice of 1 lime
Plenty of chopped cilantro
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Slice the kernels off the corn after cooking or roasting. Combine with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Repeat process after you've devoured the entire bowl by yourself (have no shame, I could totally do it!). 

all photos © Bunhead in the Kitchen, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment